Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Penne with Cilantro Edamame Pesto


Have I mentioned how much I love pasta?  And pesto?  They are the best, and a great combination.  I'm into making pesto with whatever I have on hand, and experimenting with the colors and flavors I get from using different ingredients.  For example, the cilantro avocado pesto I made was great for a cool pasta salad.


This time, I used cilantro again (but you could also use basil) and added edamame for color and some extra protein.  The pesto ended up a beautiful shade of mint green.  And don't worry, it doesn't taste like pasta with soybeans.

You have to try this!  It's quick and satisfying, and I really can't get over the color!  Also, I'm sharing it at this week's Thursday's Treasures.  Go check out the great stuff everyone is posting!


Ingedients (serves 4-6):

1 pound penne or other cut pasta
1 cup frozen shelled edamame
3/4 cup olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided, plus extra for serving
Sea salt to taste
1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)

Blanch the edamame by cooking it in boiling water for 3 minutes or until tender.  Drain and set aside to cool slightly.

Cook the pasta until al dente, reserving one cup of the pasta water.  Drain and set aside.

In a food processor, combine the edamame, garlic, 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, cilantro, and a pinch of salt.  With the motor running, add the olive oil in a steady stream.  Taste the pesto to see if it needs more salt.

When the pasta is done, stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese.  Stir in the pesto, and add pasta water as necessary to thin out the sauce.  Serve hot with additional parmesan for sprinkling.
Yum

1 comment:

  1. I love new ideas for pesto! I've never considered using edamame for extra protein! As a pesto lover, you simply must try pistachios as you nut option. You might never go back to pine nuts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.