Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Garlic Honey Grilled Shrimp


Yesterday I really wanted to fire up the grill and make some shrimp.  That is, I wanted my boyfriend to fire up the grill and make me some shrimp.  To be totally honest, I don't know how to grill.  Coals and lighter fluid and all that--it's a mystery to me.  Give me a hot grill, though, and I'll totally stand there and flip.  I've got that part under control.

Anyway, Ben wasn't excited about grilling.  I, however, was super excited about the yummy garlic honey marinade I'd dreamed up, and decided I could just broil them.  I've made skewers of shrimp in the broiler before and they always come out great.  But, at the last minute, Ben changed his mind and fired up the grill.  I guess he didn't like the thought of what a 500 degree oven would do the temperature in our apartment on this 90-degree day.  So, I got to grill in the end and we had a great time lounging on the patio, flipping shrimp skewers.

We ate these on top of this salad and it was a very satisfying combination.

    
Ingredients (serves 2-3):

1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic paste
2 1/2 tablespoons honey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Pinch of cayenne




Soaked wooden skewers (soak in hot water for 30 minutes or more to keep them from catching fire)

Mix the olive oil, garlic, honey, and spices, and pour over the shrimp.  Toss to coat.  Marinate for up to 30 minutes at room temperature or 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Prepare the grill, or preheat your broiler.

Skewer the shrimp--I like to thread the skewers through each shrimp twice so they are easy to flip on the grill.  I used six skewers for this recipe, with 5-6 shrimp on each skewer.

Grill or broil for about 3 minutes per side, or longer as necessary, until charred in spots and opaque throughout.  Serve hot.
Yum

2 comments:

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.