Monday, June 3, 2013

Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogurt


When I was a kid and we were getting ice cream, my mom ALWAYS wanted Cherry Garcia.  And I was always like, well, we could get that, OR WE COULD GET OREO!!  I wasn't really a fruit-in-your-ice-cream kind of kid.

Times have changed!  As evidenced by the strawberry ice cream I made last week, I now willingly put fruit into my own ice cream.

So, I've been brainstorming all things chocolate and cherry to get ready for this month's chocolate party.  I wanted to make something fancy.  I was thinking about making a chocolate panna cotta and topping it with a layer of cherry curd and some whipped cream.

But, it's too hot!  I can't even heat up a pot of cream.  Instead I whipped up this super delicious frozen yogurt, which has the benefit of being sort of guilt-free since there's no sugar added.  I'll have to save some for my mom!  I think it's even better than the original.

Ingredients (makes about a quart):

3 cups Greek yogurt (I used Fage Total, but you could try lowfat, too)
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cream (or use more milk)
4 tablespoons Agave nectar, or to taste
2 teaspoons stevia, or to taste
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
3.5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped

Mix the milk and cream in a large bowl, and stir in the stevia until dissolved.  Add the yogurt and vanilla.  Check to see how sweet it is and add agave nectar until it's sweetened to your liking (you could try all agave or all stevia, but stevia sometimes has a funny aftertaste if you use too much of it).

Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker.  When it's almost done, add the chocolate and cherries and let the machine swirl them in.  Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 2 hours before serving.


Want to participate in this month's chocolate party by sharing a treat with chocolate and cherries?  Here's how to participate:
1.) Blog about your chocolate treat. Your recipe must include the two ingredients we choose (chocolate and cherries for June). It can be a simple no bake treat or a sophisticated layer cake, the complexity level of the recipe is totally up to you.
2.) Include a link back to a monthly round-up or the Chocolate party page. Optional, add the Chocolate Party logo in your blog post or on your sidebar. 
3.) Your recipe must be published during the current month. Please do not link old recipes, they will be deleted.
4.)  Add your link below! 
Yum

16 comments:

  1. I'd definitely pick this out over Oreo ice cream...it looks like the perfect treat to beat the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the idea of using yoghurt as the base to this frozen treat rather than cream custard. So much healthier and refreshing. I am going to have to try this combination as soon as spring comes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! Funny to think how you're heading into winter now...Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Becky! My husband is anti-sugar so I've been on the search for an agave or honey recipe.

    Agree with you by the way about Stevia.

    Looking forward to making your yummy yogurt! Again, thank you for joining the chocolate party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the chocolate party--so much fun!! Can't wait for next month.

      Delete
  4. MMMMmm...I love frozen yogurt. What a perfect summertime treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cherry garcia and your greek yogurt version sounds delish Rebecca! Thanks for sharing and for joining this month chocolate party. Hope you'll party along with us in the months to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roxana! I love the chocolate party and can't wait for ICE CREAM next month!

      Delete
  6. What a fresh frozen yoghurt flavour. It's a good entry for this months #chocolateparty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fabulous recipe for ice-cream, I could eat a gallon or so :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.