Thursday, April 11, 2013

Berry Coconut Smoothie


I like to start my day with a smoothie, since it’s easy to make and gives me lots of energy.  I’ve made a lot of smoothies in my day, but this is the best one!  It’s very creamy and the shredded coconut gives it great texture.  If you have some coconut milk left over from making chocolate mousse, this is the perfect way to use it up.  You can use whatever fruit you have on hand.  If you use fresh fruit, add a handful of ice cubes to your smoothie to get that frozen feel. This recipe makes one very generous serving—I usually drink a full glass at breakfast, then save the rest for an afternoon snack.  If you use soy protein instead of whey protein, this can be vegan.  Refrigerate leftovers, or freeze them and blend again before serving.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup cold water, plus more as needed
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Jay Robb's Vanilla Whey Protein Powder, and one scoop has 20 grams of protein.  Use soy protein for a vegan smoothie.)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
Dash of nutmeg

Blend first four ingredients.  Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth, adding more water if necessary.

Nutritional Information (I only share this for recipes where seeing the nutritional info won't discourage you from making it):

Calories-333
Fat-17 grams
Protein-18 grams
Carbohydrates-28 grams

I use sparkrecipes.com to calculate nutritional information, and can't guarantee that it's totally accurate.

I hope you enjoy this smoothie!  If you have your own go-to smoothie recipe, leave me a comment and let me know so I can try it.
Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.