Monday, April 28, 2014

Roasted Beet & Carrot Salad with Goat Cheese Vinaigrette


What's your favorite color?  Mine is pink (shocking, right?).  

When I was scrolling through the recipes on K & K Test Kitchen to choose something to make for this month's Secret Recipe Club, the gorgeous hue of this healthy salad caught my eye.  By the time I read the words "goat cheese" near the end of the post title, I was totally sold.  When I see a food that's naturally bright pink and has my favorite kind of cheese in it, I sign myself right up.



Kelsey and her mom Kim are the duo behind K & K Test Kitchen, which is a wonderful blog to check out if you're looking for healthy, family-friendly recipes that are delicious and easy to make.  When I read how much Kelsey loved this beet & carrot salad, I was convinced I had chosen the right recipe, and it did not disappoint.  It was both beautiful and delicious.  I loved the adaptations Kelsey made to Food & Wine's original recipe: she eliminated the stovetop cooking, which makes the recipe so much easier, and she added thyme, which goes really well with the sweetness of the roasted vegetables.  I, in turn, made a couple of adaptations to her version: I used sherry vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar, reduced the vinegar a bit, omitted the mustard, and added a little extra goat cheese.  In my opinion, you can never have too much goat cheese.

This was actually my first time roasting beets, and I loved it.  It's super easy, and the skins rub right off when the beets are done cooking.  The beets dye the carrots pink, and the vegetables are tossed with a simple but delicious goat cheese vinaigrette.  Thyme leaves and a little extra goat cheese on top are the perfect finishing touch for this vibrant salad.  I could not stop popping bite after bite into my mouth as I was plating the salad and taking these pictures.

I hope you try this salad, especially if you're as new to cooking with beets as I am--it really is so much fun!  Do you have a food you love to make that's your favorite color?


Roasted Beet & Carrot Salad with Goat Cheese Vinaigrette
Yield: 4 side dish servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50-60 minutes

Ingredients (adapted from K & K Test Kitchen; originally from Food & Wine):

4 beets
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped into 2-inch sticks
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1-2 ounces goat cheese (2-4 tablespoons), divided
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (or 2 teaspoons fresh)

Preheat the oven to 400.  Wash the beets well, then slice off the tops and bottoms.  Place the prepared beets on a large piece of foil, drizzle with a teaspoon or so of olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Toss to coat the beets, then wrap the foil around them to form a packet.  Place the packet on a baking sheet and roast for 40-60 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.  Set aside to cool.

Place the carrots on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat (or tinfoil).  Drizzle with a teaspoon or so of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.  Put the carrots in the oven when the beets have been roasting for about 20 minutes, and roast them until tender and browned around the edges (about 30 minutes).

While the vegetables are roasting, make the vinaigrette.  Whisk together the sherry vinegar and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a small bowl.  Crumble in one ounce (two tablespoons) of goat cheese, then whisk to combine.

When the beets are cool enough to handle, rub them with a paper towel (or dishcloth that you don't mind staining pink) to remove the skins.  Cut each beet in half, then slice each half into semicircles.

Toss the beets and carrots in a large bowl with the vinaigrette and thyme leaves.  Sprinkle with the remaining goat cheese, if desired, and serve warm.



Yum

32 comments:

  1. Happy Reveal Day! Great SRC pick~ I made beets this summer and have since been on the look out for beet recipes. This looks and sounds delicious! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous salad! Great pick this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beets are one of my absolute favorites. What a great salad! Great pick this month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! Do you have any favorite beet recipes? I'm on the lookout for more now...

      Delete
  4. Ohh I love that the carrots get dyed! I also love beets - gonna have to make this one :) Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! The pink carrots are pretty much my favorite, too!

      Delete
  5. Yummy! That looks like such a delicious salad! But anything with roasted beets in it has to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad my beloved husband is anti-beet by default - he goes on with anything else I like to cook, but beets? Nooooo...

    oh, well - I would be very happy with a huge bowl of this for lunch. Would not even have to share! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boyfriend won't touch them, either! He wrinkled his nose when I told him what I was making, but I was happy to have more for myself.

      Delete
  7. That is so PRETTY! I LOVE beets - too bad neither my hubby or son will touch them. Might have to make this just for me anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe there is a pervasive fear of beets among some men, because my boyfriend doesn't like them either! I wonder if it has anything to do with the gender associations of the color...

      Delete
  8. Roasted beets are amazing...love the combination in this salad. Great SRC choice. Visiting from Group B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This salad is quite beautiful to look at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! I was so excited to find a naturally pink food :)

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous, gorgeous salad! And completely delicious too! Fabulous SRC pick :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're absolutely right - you can never have too much goat cheese. I adore beetroot, especially roasted, so I know I would absolutely love this salad - I would be very happy to make a meal out of this.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! It is very filling. I think next time I will try it over greens to make it even more of a full meal.

      Delete
  12. Your photos are lovely of the salad! Thanks for taking part in SRC. I know Kelsey loves being a part of it. (the mom from K&K!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kim! I had a great time scrolling through your blog. It's so cool that you two are a mother-daughter blogging team :)

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous! I have been super into beets lately, yum! :) Visiting from Group A :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! :) I think this is just the beginning of a whole beet kick for me...

      Delete
  14. So pretty and healthy! Great choice. This is what I love about this group! I never would have thought about beets until I saw your post, and now I am craving them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! Yes, that is a great thing about SRC. Glad I could pass on a healthy craving to you! :)

      Delete
  15. I love beets! This looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love beets also, especially roasted beets. I am new to SRC and I screwed up somehow. My post didn't post as scheduled. I have never scheduled a post before and I used today's date. Perhaps I should have used yesterday's date?? I don't know..I did go and link up on the SRC reveal page but it is not showing up on any of the other member's pages. Can somebody help please??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, Do you use Blogger? If you do, you need to hit "publish" after you enter the scheduling info or it will not actually be scheduled (I just learned to schedule posts recently). If it's another platform, I would ask for help on the SRC facebook group or email your group leader. As for the date, it should be whatever was listed in the instructions with the blog hop code; in this case, 5-26-14 at 12:00 AM. Also, I know the blog hop will only work if you have a link to the SRC website somewhere within your post--could that be what's missing? Hope this helps!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.