Monday, April 22, 2013

Fudge Cakes (and introducing Penn Family Favorites)


My Grandma Myrle used to make these fabulous Fudge Cakes, which are kind of like brownies but chewier and better. I think they get their awesome texture from the Crisco! I don’t usually bake with shortening, but it’s essential to this recipe. This was one of the few desserts my mom made for me when I was a kid, and it was usually for a special occasion. But fudge cakes are so easy, I think you should make them just because.

I got this recipe from a little packet called Penn Family Favorites, a cookbook that my great aunt put together years ago with all the recipes our family members loved to make. My mom’s side of the family is from Austin, so many of these recipes have some southern style. Our copy of the cookbook is yellowed and torn around the edges. It includes vague and outdated instructions, such as “Mix as for all kisses” and “Bake in a slow oven.” How are all kisses mixed? What temperature is slow? Several of the dessert recipes called for Post Toasties. When I googled it, I found out that Post Toasties is the old name for Post brand cornflakes. Who knew?

I thought it would be fun to bring some of these recipes out, test them, modernize them, and rewrite them with clear instructions. I hope you enjoy trying some of them yourself! More are coming soon, including Kona Candies (Oatmeal Fudge), Little One Egg Cakes, Coconut Kisses, and more!

These fudge cakes are so yummy and come together so fast! I got home at 4:40, popped these in the oven at 5, and was taste-testing by 5:30. A great afternoon!


Ingredients:

6 tablespoons Crisco (vegetable shortening), plus some for greasing the pan
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
4 rounded tablespoons cocoa, plus extra for the pan
Powdered sugar, for serving

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 or 9x9 inch baking pan, and powder the bottom and sides with cocoa.

Cream the shortening and sugar with a fork until it has a consistent crumbly texture. Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Sift in the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.

The batter will be somewhat stiff. Spoon it into the prepared baking pan, and use a spoon or spatula to spread it out a bit towards each of the four corners (don’t worry, it will spread out more as it bakes).

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the side comes out clean (I like these slightly underbaked because they’re fudgier). Cool, cut into squares, and dust with powdered sugar.


Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.