Sunday, August 4, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes with a Secret Ingredient


Okay, I know I've been posting a lot of pancake recipes recently.  But, I had to make these because I went berry picking yesterday, and all those adorable, sweet blueberries were begging to be made into pancakes.  And, I had to share this recipe with you because I snuck in one of my favorite secret ingredients.

It's green.  It's delicious.  Can you guess what it is?




It's avocado!  After the great success of this blueberry avocado breakfast cake, I was inspired to combine avocado and blueberries again.  You won't taste the avocado in these pancakes, and you can just barely see traces of it, but you can feel good about getting healthy fats and not adding any oil or butter to the pancake batter.

Another trick: I made these pancakes smaller, and I got full after the same number of pancakes that I usually eat (4) even though they're half the size.  I saved the leftover batter and cooked it the next day, and the pancakes were still delicious!


Ingredients (serves 2-4; adapted from Easy Paleo Diet Recipes):

1/2 avocado, peeled
1 and 1/2 cups almond flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons lemon zest (from half a lemon)
1/4 cup almond milk
4 eggs

1 and 1/2 cups blueberries
Butter or coconut oil for cooking

In a food processor, combine all ingredients except the blueberries and process until smooth.  Fold in the blueberries.

In a large skillet, heat the butter or oil over medium heat.  When the pan is hot, add the batter.  I use 1/3 cup to make one big pancake or a scant 1/4 cup to make each one of four small pancakes.  When bubbles appear on top and the bottom is golden, flip the pancakes and continue to cook until the other side is golden.

Serve hot with more blueberries, syrup, or butter.

Leftover batter can be stored in the fridge and cooked the next day.  It may look a little greener, but it will taste just as good!

You might also like:

Strawberry Banana Pancakes






Almond Pancakes with Blueberry Compote






Dutch Baby






Yum

4 comments:

  1. I never thought to put avocado in pancakes but love'em with blueberries! Homemade pancakes are a staple in my house, I make up a huge batch and then we store some in the freezer. Another thing I love is breakfast for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I hadn't thought to freeze pancakes! How do you defrost them?

      Delete
  2. strange to have avocado in a pancake. huh will have to try this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds weird, but avocado is a good healthy substitute for butter in cooking or baking. Let me know what you think!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.