Friday, August 2, 2013

Veggie Hash & Eggs


This morning when I woke up, I wanted to do something a little different with my eggs.  When I saw the vegetables we had in the fridge (asparagus and Brussels sprouts), I started to wonder why some vegetables are a common find at breakfast time, while some are not.  Mushrooms, peppers, and onions are often seen as omelette fillings, but Brussels sprouts not so much.



Since I don't think there is anything intrinsically non-breakfasty about Brussels sprouts, I decided to give them a chance.  This veggie "hash" with eggs on top is a nice change from eggs scrambled with veggies or an omelette folded around them.  The vegetables are subtly spiced and nicely caramelized, and go very well with rich bites of eggs and the punchy flavor of fresh herbs.  You can make this by roughly chopping any vegetables you have on hand--I'm thinking about trying zucchini and peppers next time.  If you know which vegetables need the longest to cook, you can chop and add those first.  I got into a nice rhythm this morning chopping and adding onions, then Brussels sprouts, and then asparagus.  And, I'm feeling virtuous about my veggie-filled breakfast on Day 2 of my restarted Whole30.


Ingredients (serves one; I did not actually measure but eyeballed everything):

4 teaspoons olive oil, coconut oil, or butter, divided
1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup Brussels sprouts, trimmed and roughly chopped
10 spears asparagus, trimmed and roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, or to taste*
Salt to taste
2 eggs
1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (I used chives and basil)

In a large skillet, heat half the oil or butter over medium-low heat.  Add the onion and saute for about five minutes, until somewhat softened.  Add the Brussels sprouts and a pinch of salt and raise the heat to medium-high.  About five minutes later, add the asparagus and Cajun seasoning.  Once the asparagus starts to brown, cover the pot and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 5-10 minutes.  Season with additional salt if desired.  Remove the vegetables to a plate and cover.

Heat the rest of the butter or oil in the same skillet over medium heat (no need to clean it) and fry the eggs to your desired doneness.  Season with salt to taste.  Place the eggs on top of the hash, sprinkle with the herbs, and enjoy hot.

*My no-salt Cajun seasoning has paprika, garlic & onion powder, marjoram, thyme, fennel, & cumin.  Check yours because if it has salt in it, you might not need to add any extra.

You might also like:

Paleo Poached Eggs with Creamy Spinach






Asparagus Bundles with Bacon & Poached Eggs






Breakfast Arepas with Guacamole





Yum

4 comments:

  1. you just made this my dinner tonight! thank you. I am going to add some butternut squash and garlic mash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for my SRC recipe this month and LOVED it. :) I'm still trying to convince my husband that brussels are awesome and he ate this with no complaints and no problems whatsoever, so I'm thinking he may finally understand. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am so glad you and your husband liked it :). I never liked brussels sprouts until I tried them roasted a couple of years ago. I think as long as they're not boiled, brussels can eventually win anyone's heart!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.