Monday, August 5, 2013

Mocha Marinated Steak with Peach Salsa and Cauliflower Mash


If you haven't stopped by since last month's chocolate party, you'll notice that things have changed some since the days of double malt ice cream sandwiches.  A Calculated Whisk is going paleo!  It's not a permanent change, but I'm doing a Whole30, and the blog is doing it with me.  So for the rest of August, you'll find more healthy recipes with fruits, vegetables, eggs, meat, and seafood, but no grains, sugar, sweeteners, legumes, soy, milk, or processed food.  Desserts (at least paleo ones, which can still be impressively delicious!) will return in the fall.


But, even if the blog and I are going paleo, that doesn't mean I'm going to miss my favorite blogging event!  This is my third month participating in the chocolate party, and it's so much fun.  Every month, a certain ingredient is picked to pair with chocolate, and all the bloggers who participate have to post a new recipe with those two ingredients.  This month it's coffee and chocolate.  The good news is that those two flavors can do just as much for savory foods as for sweet treats!  This recipe is definitely proof.

This steak is marinated in coffee, cocoa, and balsamic vinegar, which gives it a rich and robust flavor.  It's topped with an amazing peach salsa that you're going to want to put on all the things.  And, to round everything out, I served this with a cauliflower mash that will make you forget potatoes ever existed.  The best part about this meal is that it's super healthy, but still tastes like you're treating yourself.  I hope you love it as much as I do!

Do you want to participate in this month's chocolate party?  Scroll down to find out how.  Also, stop by and visit our hostess, Roxana of Roxana's Home Baking!


Ingredients (serves 4):

For the steak (adapted from the July 2013 issue of Bon Appetit):

1 cup strong brewed coffee, at room temperature
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 and 1/2 pounds skirt steak, in four pieces
Salt to taste

For the peach salsa:

2 fresh peaches, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime

For the cauliflower mash:

1 head cauliflower, trimmed and broken into large florets
4 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
Salt and pepper to taste

To make the marinade, whisk all the ingredients except salt together until the cocoa dissolves.  Reserve half of the marinade, and place the rest in a large bowl or ziptop bag with the steaks and toss to coat.  Marinate at room temperature for one hour or in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours (bring to room temperature before cooking).

When you are ready to cook the steak, preheat a grill (I used my George Foreman) and discard the used marinade.  When the grill is hot, add the steaks and sprinkle them with salt.  Grill, turning once, basting a few times with the reserved marinade, until cooked to your desired doneness (I grilled mine for 9 minutes for medium well).  Let sit for ten minutes, then slice.

To make the peach salsa, toss all the ingredients together and let them sit at room temperature for up to an hour for the flavors to meld.  Serve the salsa spooned on top of the steak.

To make the cauliflower mash, bring a couple of inches of water to a boil in a medium saucepan.  Add the cauliflower and cook, covered, until tender, about ten minutes.  Drain the cauliflower and place it in the bowl of a food processor with the remaining ingredients.  Process until smooth and serve hot.


You might also like:

Sesame Lime Steak, Zucchini, & Avocado Salad






Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp with Creamy Rutabaga






Arepas with Black Beans and Corn & Avocado Salsa








Want to participate in this month's chocolate party by sharing a recipe with chocolate and coffee? Here's how to participate:

1.) Blog about your chocolate treat. Your recipe must include the two ingredients we choose (chocolate and coffee for August). It can be a simple no bake treat or a sophisticated layer cake, the complexity level of the recipe is totally up to you.

2.) Include a link back to a monthly round-up or the Chocolate party page. Optional, add the Chocolate Party logo in your blog post or on your sidebar.

3.) Your recipe must be published during the current month. Please do not link old recipes, they will be deleted.

4.) Add your link below!
Yum

17 comments:

  1. Brilliant. I am impressed at your creativity in working around that kind of restriction. And I love coffee and chocolate in chili, so I am sure it is fantastic here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try mocha flavors in chili, that sounds amazing!

      Delete
  2. I love to marinate and grill beef...and your recipe looks terrific....as does the salsa. Good luck following the Paleo diet this month...I'm looking forward to hearing how your body responds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! So far I'm liking it, feeling energetic & happy and not deprived. I'll keep you updated!

      Delete
  3. I thought about going savory too but just couldn't come up with anything. I will have to try this recipe out soon. Looks delicious! I cannot go full blow Paleo but I have several recipes that are a part of our regular rotation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! It took ALL my restraint not to cave and make mocha cupcakes instead...but this steak was really delish!

      Delete
  4. What an intriguing flavour combination, I love the thought of chilli, coffee and chocolate but I have never tried anything like it.
    Definitely something for me to keep in mind... of and I love cauliflower mash :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Cauliflower is so versatile...I've been seeing recipes for cauliflower "steaks" that I want to try!

      Delete
  5. I've seen Top Chef types use coffee with their meats so now I've got the secret of the masters in hand! Tee hee. Your cauliflower mash recipe is a keeper, too =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! Coffee makes everything better, right?

      Delete
  6. How wonderful to combine chocolate and coffee in a savory recipe. Thanks for bringing your creativity to the Chocolate Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roxana! I LOVE the chocolate party--so glad you had such a great idea!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.