Monday, May 20, 2013

Cilantro & Avocado Pesto Pasta Salad


I was planning to make guacamole for my party the other night, but at the last minute, I barely got the last batch of cupcakes into the oven before guests started arriving.  I think the party went fine without it, but I was left with several avocados and a big bunch of cilantro.  I thought about making the guacamole for me and Ben, but after my love affair with this queso, I wasn't in the mood for any more chips.

Then, I thought of a brilliant idea.  Cilantro and avocado pesto!  For pasta salad!  And this dish was born.

I think it's fabulous, and I hope you will, too!  You can make it in twenty minutes and it's the perfect color for a spring lunch or dinner.  You could definitely bring it on a picnic, too!



Ingredients (serves 4):

1 pound pasta (I used cavatappi)
1 cup packed fresh cilantro
1 large avocado, peeled and seeded
Juice of half a lime
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 scallions, sliced
1/2 cup crumbled feta (omit this for a vegan dish--it still tastes great!)
1 cup peas, cooked if frozen (I sauteed mine in a little olive oil for 5 minutes)
Salt and pepper to taste
More cilantro, scallions, and lime wedges for garnish

Cook the pasta until al dente, then drain and run under cold water.

To make the pesto, blend the cilantro, avocado, and lime juice in a food processor.  With the motor running, add the olive oil in a steady stream and process until smooth.

Toss the cooked pasta, pesto, scallions, feta, and peas together.  Garnish with additional cilantro and scallions and/or a lime wedge (or more feta--I was out).  Serve chilled or at room temperature.



Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.