Monday, May 20, 2013

A Cupcake Party and Simple Chocolate Buttercream


We had a decorate-your-own cupcake party last night!  I got the idea from this post on A Beautiful Mess.  People had so much fun choosing a cupcake flavor and heaping on toppings inside the ring of frosting.  Carrot cupcakes were the most popular, and I saw lots of people spooning on strawberry curd.  It wasn't too bad waking up to leftovers this morning, either.  I am a big fan of cake for breakfast.  Maybe the decorate-your-own cupcake station can become a permanent feature around here?


In case you want to throw your own cupcake party, here are the recipes I used:


For the chocolate cupcakes, I was too lazy to make the Swiss meringue buttercream that's in the post for the Double Chocolate Vegan Cupcakes, so I made a simple chocolate buttercream.  Here's the recipe in case you want to make it!

Ingredients (makes enough for 12 cupcakes): 
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
Pinch of salt 
Combine all ingredients and beat on high speed until smooth.
I also put out these toppings:
  • Shredded coconut
  • Chopped pecans
  • Chopped strawberries with a little sugar
  • Sprinkles
  • Mini m & ms
There are so many other things that would be great on cupcakes!  What are your favorite cupcake flavors, frostings, and toppings?

Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.