Monday, July 1, 2013

Double Malt Ice Cream Sandwiches #chocolateparty


Did you ever get a malt cup from an ice cream truck as a kid?  Malt cups were always my favorite.  It's not a bar or anything fancy--just a cup of chocolate malt ice cream that you eat with one of those little spoons.  I've been wanting one forever, so I finally ordered some Milo online and made my own version.  If you like malt, you will LOVE this.

I was just thinking about ice cream, but then I found out that this month's chocolate party secret ingredient was ice cream, and that the recipes had to call for both ice cream AND chocolate (so, not just ice cream with chocolate in it!).  Well, what else was there to do?  I baked up some lightly malted chocolate chip cookies and stuffed the ice cream inside.  These ice cream sandwiches would also be delicious with any other ice cream flavor--feel free to use store bought or your favorite homemade flavor.

P.S.  While you're here, check out this giveaway!  You could win a copy of an awesome food photography e-book.



Ingredients:

For the cookies (from Hummingbird on High's recipe, makes about 24):

1 cup flour
Rounded 1/4 cup Milo
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 stick butter (8 tablespoons), at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet baking melts)

For the ice cream sandwiches (makes 12):

24 cookies
1 quart chocolate malt ice cream (recipe below) or any other ice cream, softened

To make the cookies, preheat the oven to 375 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and Milo and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and two sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla, and beat just until combined.

Add the flour mixture to the other ingredients, and mix by hand JUST until combined.  Fold in chocolate chips.

Using a tablespoon measure, spoon out tablespoon-sized balls of dough at least 2 inches apart on the parchment paper.  Bake for about 8 minutes, until cookies are just set and barely beginning to brown around the edges.  Let them cool for a few minutes on the sheet to firm up, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Once they are cool, stick them in the freezer for an hour or so.  This will make it easier to assemble the ice cream sandwiches.

To make the sandwiches, match the cookies up by size.  Place a scoop of softened ice cream on one frozen cookie (bottom side up), and top with the other cookie, top side up.  Smoosh a little to help the ice cream get to the edges.  Wrap each ice cream sandwich individually and store in the freezer for up to two weeks.  Before serving, let the sandwiches thaw for about five minutes.

Ingredients for the chocolate malt ice cream:

1/2 cup Milo
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups heavy cream, divided
1 1/2 cups 2% milk
1 cup Whoppers, crushed (optional)

In a medium saucepan, combine the Milo, sugar, and half the cream.  Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar and Milo are dissolved and no clumps are left.  Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining cream and the milk.

Chill the mixture completely by refrigerating overnight or placing in the freezer for about an hour.  Once the mixture is totally chilled, freeze it in your ice cream maker.  When the ice cream is almost done, add the Whoppers, if using.  Store in the freezer in an airtight container.


Want to participate in this month's chocolate party by sharing a treat with chocolate and ice cream?  Here's how to participate:

1.) Blog about your chocolate treat. Your recipe must include the two ingredients we choose (chocolate and ice cream for July). It can be a simple no bake treat or a sophisticated layer cake, the complexity level of the recipe is totally up to you.
2.) Include a link back to a monthly round-up or the Chocolate party page. Optional, add the Chocolate Party logo in your blog post or on your sidebar.
3.) Your recipe must be published during the current month. Please do not link old recipes, they will be deleted.
4.)  Add your link below! 



Yum

24 comments:

  1. I want to eat these delicious chubbies...Mmmmmm!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love Whoppers!!! I can't buy them or I'd overdose, but maybe I'll make an exception for your marvelous ice cream sandwiches! They're terrific!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! I did eat a LARGE portion of the Whoppers before adding them to the ice cream, so there weren't as many in there as there should have been...

      Delete
  3. I had an ice cream sandwich too. Cannot go wrong with cookies and ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, yours look great! I love a good ice cream sandwich.

      Delete
  4. Becky...these look fabulous! I remember drinking a lot of Ovaltine (that malted milk powder) when I was a kid and I just love the flavor it adds to baking as well. My favorite ice cream sandwiches are always made with chippers...but your malted version is really awesome! Wonderful idea for the chocolate party this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE malted-anything...these look fantasttic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Double your pleasure, double your fun on the 4th! Love this celebration of cookies and Whoppers-based ice cream you've brought to the party, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving this dessert. My dad used to make us kids malts all the time growing up so I love the malt flavor and these would be a perfect dessert to make for the Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love malt flavor, too! It's so underused in my opinion :)

      Delete
  8. This sounds so good. I've never heard of Milo, but I bet it's a lot like Ovaltine, which is a chocolate malt drink powder. I way preferred chocolate malts over shakes when I was a kid. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it is like Ovaltine, although I haven't tried that one. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. I can't get enough ice cream cookie sandwiches!! So delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah, me too! These are gone now and I'm already looking for excuses to make more.

      Delete
  10. My favourit is ice-cream sandwiches and ice-cream with cookies, this looks so good too! I can't believe you have to send away for Milo though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Honestly, I didn't even check the store for Milo...just saw it was available through Amazon Prime, clicked, and two days later it arrived. I'm a really lazy shopper sometimes...

      Delete
  11. Becky these sound so good I love malt anything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm pretty sure on a hot day like today I could eat two of these sandwiches and call it lunch!
    Thanks for sharing and for joining the party this month as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roxana, and thanks so much for hosting such a great party! I can't wait for next month! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.