Sunday, May 12, 2013

Lemon Vanilla Bean Muffins



Happy Mother's Day!  What are you making for your mom today?  I'm making my mom these lemon vanilla bean muffins, and giving her a bottle of vanilla extract and a jar of preserved lemons.

I wanted to make my mom something much more extravagant, but she's been trying to eat healthy.  She actually asked me not to bake her anything at all, but that didn't feel right.  I did my best to lighten up these muffins somewhat.  They're lemony, and she loves citrus flavors.  They're also decadent with the addition of vanilla bean seeds.  I bet your mom would love these, too!



This recipe makes 12 muffins.

Ingredients (adapted from this recipe on Splash of Something):

1 1/2 cups flour (I used 1 cup regular and 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and cooled
1/3 cup light agave nectar
1/3 cup milk (I used 2%)
2 eggs
Seeds from 1 vanilla bean, divided
Juice of one lemon
Zest of one lemon, divided

For the streusel topping:

1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons cold butter, diced
Pinch of salt

Melt the butter and set it aside to cool.  Preheat the oven to 325, and line a muffin tin with paper liners.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt.

In another bowl, mix together the cooled butter, agave nectar, milk, and eggs.  Scrape in the seeds from the vanilla bean, saving a bit (about a quarter) for the streusel topping.  Add the lemon juice and half the zest, saving the rest for the streusel.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and mix just until combined.  Divide the batter among your muffin cups (I use an ice cream scoop greased with cooking spray to make this easier).

To make the streusel, combine all ingredients with the reserved vanilla seeds and lemon zest.  Using your fingers, mix until the butter is incorporated and the mixture has a crumbly texture.  Sprinkle on top of the batter-filled muffin cups.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops of the muffins are light golden and a toothpick comes out clean.



Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.