Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Pecan & Blue Cornmeal Scones (plus a baking bucket list)


In my head I have a running bucket list of things I'd like to bake or cook that I haven't tried yet.  I decided it's time to write that list down, so I'll have it when the inspiration to try something new strikes. What kind of bucket lists do you have?  If you have a kitchen bucket list, what's on it?

1. Scones (tackled today!)
2. Biscuits
3. Chocolate soufflé
4. Quiche
5. Pies (various kinds)
6. Tarts (various kinds)
7. Popovers
8. Baked Alaska
9. Cheesecake (not the no-bake kind)
10. Bundt cake
11. Cornbread
12. Bread
13. Creme brulee

Lucky 13!  I'm sure I'll be adding to the list as I think of more things and discover new recipes to try.

Anyway, this morning I tried scones.  I wanted to make them with the blue cornmeal I have from Bob's Red Mill, so I adapted this recipe.  I brought them to a meeting at work and they were a big hit!  Plus, scones are easy and quick to make.  For some reason I thought they would be tricky, but they're really not any harder than muffins and are much more elegant.



Recipe (adapted from this recipe on Living Tastefully; makes 16 small scones):

2 cups flour
1 cup blue cornmeal (or use yellow)
1/4 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 cup coconut milk or whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 tablespoons very cold butter (stick it in the freezer for half an hour)
1 cup pecans, chopped (or substitute raisins or your favorite nuts)

Preheat the oven to 450 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.  In a small bowl, whisk together, the egg, coconut milk or whole milk, and vanilla.

Using a cheese grater, grate the butter into the dry ingredients (this is why you need it to be super cold!).  Mix with your hands just to distribute the butter--you want little chunks of butter to remain in the dough.  They help give scones their light texture and characteristic cracks along the sides.

Add the wet ingredients and pecans to the mixture, and stir with a fork to form a dough.  If necessary, knead the dough with your hands to incorporate the last floury bits.

Break the dough into four equal pieces.  Pat each piece out into a 5-6 inch square.  Using a sharp knife, cut each square of dough into quarters. (This will make 16 small scones.  If you want larger scones, cut fewer pieces.)

Place the scones on the parchment-lined sheets and sprinkle a little granulated sugar on top of each one.  Bake the scones for about 8 minutes, rotating the pans back to front halfway through and checking them frequently to make sure they are not too brown on the bottoms.  When they're ready, they will be just firm to the touch.

Remove scones to a rack to cool and serve warm or at room temperature.  These would be great with butter, jam, lemon curd, or strawberry curd!

Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.