Saturday, June 8, 2013

Mocha Almond Flourless Brownies


Yesterday I got some almond flour and blue cornmeal in the mail from Bob's Red Mill.  I was super excited to try some chocolate baked goods with the almond flour.  Did you know it's just ground-up almonds?  Amazing.  Full of heart-healthy fats and protein instead of the empty carbs in flour.


I decided to try these flourless brownies, adapted from this recipe on Om Nom Ally.  They are really good!  The coffee and almond flavors are subtle, but add an extra richness to the chocolate flavor.  The brownies are really fudgy and moist, which makes them very satisfying.  Just one is enough (until the craving strikes again an hour later...).

These brownies are not overly sweet.  I actually added extra sugar, because the original recipe only called for 2 tablespoons and I didn't want a bitter brownie.  I think my version came out great, but I would have dusted them with some powdered sugar if I hadn't been out.


Ingredients (makes 9-12 brownies):

1 cup almond flour (finely ground almonds)
1/2 cup cocoa, plus extra for dusting
1-3 teaspoons finely ground coffee, to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, melted, plus extra for greasing the pan
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350.  Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish and powder the bottom and sides with cocoa.

In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, cocoa, coffee, salt, and baking powder.

In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, butter, milk, eggs, and extracts.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool and cut into squares.
Yum

4 comments:

  1. Your brownies look so delicious! I made some cupcakes today with ground almonds (and chocolate and coffee!) and I think they make such a great alternative to normal flour. P.S. Thanks so much for the sweet comment you left on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie! Almond flour is my new favorite--the cupcakes sound great!

      Delete
  2. I just found your blog and wanted to tell you I think this recipe looks just incredible! It just moved up to the top of my "must-make" list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.