Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Lighter Lemon Curd (Dairy-Free)


My dad and sister came over for dinner this weekend.  It was so much fun--my sister just turned 15, and she had never been to my apartment before!  I cooked them a belated birthday/father's day celebratory dinner.  We had thai shrimp curry with vegetables and coconut milk (so good--recipe coming soon), a salad my dad brought with a delicious dressing (I'll try to score the recipe and post it--it involves hazelnut oil!) and a berry tart with coconut cream and lemon curd.  My sister can't eat any dairy, so I had to make lemon curd without the butter.  Good news--it's just as delicious as the original, and even more lemony.  

I wanted to share the whole tart recipe with you, but the crust still needs some work.  Anyone have a good dairy-free tart crust recipe?  I'm going to work on getting one ready for the Fourth, because this tart happens to be very patriotic.  For the topping, we just whipped up some coconut cream with powdered sugar and vanilla, then folded it in to the lemon curd.


Anyway, I couldn't wait to share this delicious lightened-up lemon curd with you.  It's a healthier way to enjoy my favorite spread!  Try it on pancakes or a dutch baby, swirl it with some greek yogurt, or pipe it inside some cupcakes.

If you're looking for the original buttery version, it's here.

Ingredients (adapted from food.com; makes about 1 1/2 cups):

4-6 organic lemons
1/2-3/4 cup sugar, to taste
Pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Wash your lemons really well, and zest two of them.  Mix the zest with the sugar in a small bowl, rubbing the mixture between your fingers to bring out the flavors of the zest (use 1/2 cup of sugar for a very puckery curd, and more if you want things a little sweeter).  Set the lemon sugar aside (if you want to make extra lemon sugar, it's also delicious as a topping for muffins or cookies).


Roll the lemons firmly under the palm of your hand to prime them to release the most juice.  Juice lemons until you have 3/4 cup of lemon juice.  Strain out any seeds.  Add the juice, lemon sugar, and salt to a saucepan.  Warm over medium heat, stirring constantly, until all the sugar is dissolved.

Beat the eggs and egg yolk together in a medium bowl.  While whisking constantly, slowly pour the warm lemon mixture into the eggs.  Continue to beat for a minute or so.

Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 10-15 minutes.  Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla (the vanilla is optional--you won't really taste it, but it rounds out the flavor).

Let the curd cool to room temperature, then transfer to a glass jar or another airtight container.  Store in the refrigerator.  Lemon curd will keep, refrigerated, for at least two weeks.


Yum

7 comments:

  1. oh my god, I have missed lemon curd since giving up dairy! Will give this a go, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it! It's tangier than the original, but I still love it. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Im interested in making this. I already have a go-to lemon curd recipe, but it's for when I give myself permission to really indulge! This would be a little better for my health ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Come back and tell what you think once you've tried it!

      Delete
  3. I was just thinking about making some little tartlets with lemon curd, so I'm glad I saw this. Love the idea of a lighter/brighter version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome! I'm going to try to make lemon curd this way next time. I just made a batch using coconut oil instead of butter, but I'm intrigued by omitting it altogether. I made a lemon tart with a vegan crust I was pretty happy with, so maybe it could be adapted to Paleo...here's the recipe: http://www.nomilkywhey.com/dairy-free-lemon-tart/ :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.