Saturday, June 22, 2013

Fresh Mozzarella & Strawberry Grilled Cheese


Have you had any strawberries lately?  The ones I've been getting are so good that I couldn't resist putting them in my grilled cheese!  You have to try this.

This sandwich is inspired by a salad I made last week that got eaten before it could be photographed.  It was a strawberry spin on caprese salad, without the tomatoes, because I just can't stomach raw tomatoes.  Anyway, the salad had strawberries and little balls of fresh mozzarella, a balsamic drizzle, and some julienned basil on top.  It was delicious.

Today when I was thinking about lunch, I wondered how the flavors of that salad would do smushed between two slices of butter-kissed bread.  Answer: they do really well.  This recipe is boyfriend-approved, which is great except for the fact that I had to share my sandwich with him.  I recommend you make and eat this in secret, because anyone who tries it is going to want more.

Ingredients (makes 1 sandwich):

2 slices of bread (I used Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain German Wheat)
3-4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
2-3 strawberries, sliced
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Pinch of salt
Butter for cooking

Layer half the cheese on one of the slices of bread.  Top with the strawberries and drizzle the balsamic vinegar on top.  Top that with the remaining cheese, a sprinkle of salt, and the other piece of bread.

Heat some butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Cook the sandwich, flipping halfway through, until the bread is golden and crisp and the cheese is melted to your liking.  Serve hot.

Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.