Saturday, June 1, 2013

Blueberry Avocado Breakfast Cake


Cake for breakfast!  That's what it's all about.  Did you read Maurice Sendak's In the Night Kitchen when you were a kid?  Mickey has to fly all over the city looking for "milk for the morning cake".  I think morning cake is totally legit, and something we should all have more of.



My mom got me a bunch of organic blueberries when they were on crazy sale at Whole Foods.  I came across a recipe for buttermilk blueberry breakfast cake on Alexandra's Kitchen, and really wanted to try it.  Then I remembered (sigh) that the blog and I are supposed to be eating healthy.



So, I decided to try an experiment.  In Gaby Dalkin's book Absolutely Avocados, she has several dessert recipes (brownies, cookies, pound cake) where she substitutes avocado for half the butter.  I wanted to see how that would go in this morning cake.  I also reduced the sugar a bit and added some cinnamon.



The results were wonderful!  I would recommend this to anyone who wants to have their cake (for breakfast) and their avocado, too.

Ingredients (serves 6-8; adapted from this recipe on Alexandra's Kitchen):

1 avocado, peeled and seeded
1/4 cup butter (4 tablespoons), at room temperature
Zest of one lime or lemon
2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup buttermilk*

Preheat the oven to 350.  Grease an 8 x 8 baking pan.

In a large bowl, combine the avocado, butter, lime or lemon zest, and 2/3 cup of sugar.  Cream with a fork or mixer until well-blended.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.

Toss 1/4 cup of flour with the blueberries.  In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the remaining flour with the baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk and mixing by hand just until combined.  Fold in the blueberries.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar on top.

Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool for 15 minutes, then cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.

* Make your own buttermilk!  Place 1 tablespoon vinegar or fresh-squeezed lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.  Add milk (I used 2%) until it reaches the 1 cup line.  Let sit for five minutes.  Use half your homemade buttermilk in this recipe and save the rest for something else!


Yum

5 comments:

  1. I need that cook book! Avocados are my favorite! Lovely photos, thanks for sharing :).

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally get it--it's awesome! Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  2. This looks so delicious!! I love blueberries in baked things, and the pictures are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lori! Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.