Monday, May 27, 2013

Tipsy Coffee Ice Cream


I'm in love with my new ice cream maker!  It's so easy to use.  I loved the strawberry ice cream I made the other day, and was ready to try again as soon as we finished eating it.  Since the machine was a gift from my mom, I decided to ask her what flavor she wanted, and she said Kahlua.  I convinced her that it would be even better with Jamaican rum cream, since that's what I had.  And I added a little hint of coffee to round out the flavors.  You could probably make this with Kahlua, although it's not creamy like rum cream and Bailey's.  Let me know if you try it!

Anyway, this ice cream was seriously delicious.  My mom and I could not even wait for it to fully freeze before eating all of it (hence the melty pictures, sorry!).  It's different than the strawberry ice cream because it doesn't have an egg custard base, but it was still very creamy.  I didn't miss the eggs at all (plus, I was out).  It also means this ice cream is easier to make!  Win-win-win.

P.S. I store my ice cream in recycled coffee cans.  Not just my coffee ice cream, but it's especially fitting here.  They are a good size, and convenient with the snap-on lids.

Ingredients (adapted from this recipe on Annie's Eats; makes about 3 cups or 6 servings):

1 cup 2% milk
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup whole coffee beans
Pinch of salt
1 3/4 cups heavy cream, divided
1/4 cup rum cream or Irish cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon finely ground coffee or espresso powder

Combine the milk, sugar, coffee beans, salt, and 1/2 cup of the cream in a saucepan over medium heat.  Cook, stirring, until the mixture is hot and starting to bubble around the edges.  Turn off the heat and let steep at room temperature for an hour or so.

Strain the coffee mixture into a bowl.  Add the remaining 1 1/4 cups of cream, the rum cream, vanilla, and coffee.  Stir and chill in the refrigerator until completely cold.  Freeze in an ice cream maker and enjoy!

Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.