Saturday, May 4, 2013

Breakfast Arepas with Guacamole


Here's the perfect Cinco de Mayo breakfast!  Arepas (my favorite thing ever since I made these), eggs, and guacamole.  These are pretty quick to throw together, and very filling and satisfying.  Plus, who doesn't love a chance to make guacamole first thing in the morning?  I know I do!

I was excited to try arepas with some shredded cheese mixed into the batter, but once they were cooked I didn't really notice the cheese.  Oh well.  Next up in my all-arepas-all-the-time series, I'll be trying arepas with a big chunk of cheese stuffed in the middle.  Cheese-bellied arepas, if you will.  Stay tuned!  I won't make you wait long, I promise.



Ingredients (serves four):

For the arepas:
1 cup masarepa (precooked fine yellow or white cornmeal)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup shredded cheese (optional)
Butter for cooking

For the guacamole:
1 ripe avocado
1 clove garlic, minced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Juice of one lime
Salt and pepper to taste

4 eggs, poached or fried
Salt and pepper

To make the guacamole, place all ingredients in a bowl and mash with a fork until combined but still chunky.

For the arepas, mix the masarepa, salt, and water and let sit for 5 minutes.  Heat some butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Mix the cheese into the batter, then form patties about four inches across and half an inch thick.  Fry until golden and crisped on both sides, about 10 minutes.

Spoon a generous layer of guacamole on top of a hot arepa, then top with an egg.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hot.

Yum

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, this totally reminds me of a Venezuelan friend that used to make these for me! She would pile on eggs, avocado, even pulled pork on them! Would love to make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Pulled pork--you just gave me my next arepa idea! Next time you're in Boston, you should go to Orinoco. They have so many different arepas, including ones with handmade Venezuelan cheese. They're amazing!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.