Monday, April 29, 2013

Spring Salad with Citrusy Shallot Vinaigrette


Guess what?  May is National Salad Month.  I never realized this before I started a food blog, but almost every day is a special holiday celebrating a particular kind of food.  In addition, each month is associated with a few different foods.  May is not just about salad--it's also National Barbecue Month and National Strawberry Month.  

Some of these food holidays are great!  National Butterscotch Brownie Day on May 9th?  Now that's something I can get behind.  Others, like National Escargot Day (which happens to fall on my birthday, May 24th), are less appealing.

Do you want to check out the full list of food holidays?  Yeah, I thought so.

Since food holidays are so ubiquitous, I clearly can't do a post in honor of every single one.  But, since I've been trying to eat more healthy food, I couldn't pass up the chance to kick off National Salad Month with this little recipe.

This is just a side salad, but the dressing is super fresh and light and features all my favorite flavors.  You could easily turn this into a meal by adding some grilled chicken or shrimp and avocado.



Ingredients for the salad:

Spring mix (like this one from Dole Salads)

Citrusy Shallot Vinaigrette:

1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons minced shallot (about half a shallot)
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
Juice of half an orange
Salt and pepper to taste

Whisk all the dressing ingredients together.  Toss with the spring mix to taste.

I couldn't resist taking a few pictures of the beautifully springy dressing ingredients.  Were scallions the original inspiration for the whole ombre trend?


What's your favorite salad this spring?

Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.