Saturday, April 27, 2013

Make Your Own Preserved Lemons




How gorgeous is all this?  I have never tried preserved lemons, but was inspired by this post to bottle some up right away.  I'm really into lemons right now, and in a month or so, I will have a unique ingredient to use in tagines and other dishes.  Here are some of the recipes I can't wait to make once my lemons are ready:

 Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemons and Olives

Preserved Lemon and Chickpea Pasta with Parsley Pesto

Roast Cornish Game Hens with Preserved Lemon and Bay Leaf Butter

Preserved Lemon Semifreddo with Basil Syrup

Fish Tacos with Preserved Lemons



Okay, have I convinced you?  Bonus: preserved lemons are really easy and fun to make.  I made a jar for myself and a jar to give as a gift.  All you need is a jar or two, a bunch of lemons, and some sea salt.

Ingredients (from The Year in Food): 
8-10 organic lemons (depending on how big your jar is)
about 1/2 cup sea salt (I used Maldon)

Start by sterilizing your jars and lids by boiling them in a big pot of water for 10 minutes.  Drain, and make sure the lids are dry.  Wash and dry your lemons well.

Cut half of your lemons into six wedges each (the remaining lemons will be used for juice).  Layer some wedges on the bottom of the jar, then sprinkle generously with salt.  Repeat until you have filled your jar.  Don't skimp on the salt!  

Roll the other lemons under the palm of your hand so they will release more juice.  Squeeze them into the jar until it's full.


That's it!  Store your jar at room temperature, shake it every day or so, and open up the jar every few days to let the lemons breathe.  After a month, the lemons will be ready to use and can be stored in the fridge for a longer shelf life.

Yum

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful ... I love the flavor of lemon rind! I think I'll make some ... to add to my gumbo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These would be great in gumbo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!

    my blog post; dorisyuengling.canalblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.