Wednesday, September 2, 2015

16 Paleo-Friendly Fig Recipes

16 Paleo-Friendly Fig Recipes | acalculatedwhisk.com
A roundup of 16 grain-free, paleo-friendly recipes using fresh figs, 
from breakfasts and snacks to dinners and desserts.

Figs are in season now, and while they're great eaten just as-is, I also love cooking with them. I've been especially excited about figs this year, even writing a poem about them in the style of Pablo Neruda (scroll down in this post to read my ode to figs). My fiancé and I just moved down to Tennessee and, since my campaign to get him to raise goats with me has been unsuccessful, I now have my heart set on planting a fig tree or two. Hopefully in a few years I'll be able to make all these recipes with homegrown figs!

For now, store-bought figs will have to do. My local grocery store has plenty of black mission figs (pictured above in the top left of the collage), and I've also seen brown turkey and calimyrna figs. I wanted to round up all of the most delicious paleo-friendly fig recipes in one place in order to inspire us all to take full advantage while they're still around. I scoured all my favorite blogs and websites to find mouth-watering ways to use figs at every meal of the day. The recipes below should work well with any kind of fresh fig, or even a mix of more than one variety!

All of the recipes linked to here are gluten free and grain free, but some do contain dairy. If the original recipe doesn't list substitutions, I've noted ways to make the recipe dairy free. From breakfast bowls to pizza, salad to chocolate tarts, and smoothies to chutney, there's something figgy here for everyone!

Figs for breakfast:

Photo by Lisa of Strum Simmer Sip

Fig & Seed Breakfast Pudding from Strum Simmer Sip (use coconut yogurt for a dairy-free version)

Photo by Tina of The Worktop

Figs with Creme Fraiche and Prosciutto from The Worktop (use cashew or coconut cream instead of creme fraiche for a dairy-free version)

fig-newton-smoothie-4-of-1-71
Photo by Lindsay of Cotter Crunch

Fig Newton Breakfast Smoothie from Cotter Crunch

Photo by Rebecca of Strength & Sunshine

Raw Raspberry Fig Chia Jam from Strength & Sunshine

Figs for lunch and dinner:


Crispy Chicken with Fig & Shallot Compote from A Calculated Whisk

Photo by Linda Spiker of The Organic Kitchen

Kale Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette from The Organic Kitchen (omit feta for a dairy-free version)


Balsamic & Fig Beef Kabobs from Fed and Fit


Photo by Julia of The Roasted Root

Broiled Salmon & Fig Salad with Blackberries and Green Goddess Dressing from The Roasted Root (dressing contains yogurt; for a dairy-free dressing, try this green goddess or this maple-tahini dressing)

Photo by Lexi of Lexi's Clean Kitchen

Roasted Fig & Caramelized Onion Pizza from Lexi's Clean Kitchen

balsamic steak salad with figs and arugula 3

Balsamic Steak with Fig & Arugula Salad from A Calculated Whisk (omit goat cheese for a dairy-free version)

Photo by Kirsten of Farm Fresh Feasts

Apple Fig Chutney from Farm Fresh Feasts

Photo by Amy of A Healthy Life For Me

Fig Cake with Coconut Vanilla Glaze from A Healthy Life For Me

Photo by Julia of The Roasted Root

Maple Roasted Figs from The Roasted Root

Did I miss anything? If you have a favorite way to enjoy fresh figs that isn't represented here, I'd love to hear about it in the comments!
Yum

10 comments:

  1. My gosh, all of these recipes look so fantastic! That crispy chicken is definitely on my to make list and I've been meaning to do a fig jam for ages. That pizza... Sigh...I need all of these things in my life! Thanks for including a couple of my recipes, m'dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for letting me include your gorgeous recipes! Happy figging :)

      Delete
  2. So much great inspiration for fig season, thanks for including my tarts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sylvie! They're so beautiful. I'm hoping to get a chance to make them this weekend!

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous round up! Love thos figs, can't get enough! Thank you for including my Fig Cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Me neither! And your fig cakes look so fabulous with that sauce. Yum!!

      Delete
  4. Oh.my.yum! This is such an amazing lineup of fig inspired dishes, Becky!! Thank you so much for including my No-Bake Cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joscelyn! That cheesecake is a stunner!!

      Delete
  5. I'm so obsessed with figs. This is like heaven on my screen. Thanks for putting this together, can't wait to try these recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! Hope you love them. Glad I am not the only one who's fig obsessed!!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.