Monday, June 22, 2015

Breakfast Casserole with Bacon, Sausage, Sweet Potato, and Kale

Breakfast Casserole with Bacon, Sausage, Sweet Potato, and Kale | acalculatedwhisk.com

When I make a recipe, I always expect it to turn out great. Of course, sometimes it doesn't, but if I weren't expecting delicious results, why would I bother making the recipe at all?

On the other hand, sometimes there's a qualifier. I might say to myself, "These cookies will be great--for sugar-free cookies." Or in this case, "This will be wonderful--for a dairy-free breakfast casserole."

Breakfast Casserole with Bacon, Sausage, Sweet Potato, and Kale | acalculatedwhisk.com

You may have already guessed that this recipe blew that qualifier right out of the water (especially since only recipes that are amazing without qualifiers end up on the blog at all!). This breakfast casserole is so delectable that I do not think anyone will notice or care that it's dairy free.

I found this recipe over at Susan's blog, Food.Baby.Life, which was my assignment for this month's Secret Recipe Club reveal. Susan is a busy mom of three boys under age five, and still finds time to study, cook, and share delicious recipes on her blog! I, for one, am very impressed. Susan's recipe index includes a huge selection of allergy-friendly baked goods along with lots of family-friendly main dishes like this one.

Breakfast Casserole with Bacon, Sausage, Sweet Potato, and Kale | acalculatedwhisk.com

Since I'm in the midst of a Whole30, I had to steer clear of Susan's baked goods, even though this hazelnut chocolate ganache tart looked almost too amazing to pass up. I perused a bunch of savory recipes, and in the end narrowed it down to this sweet potato, bacon, and egg bake or this creamy prawn curry. I asked my fiancĂ© to help me decide and he was in the mood for breakfast, so I went with the egg bake.

I was really excited about the egg bake recipe because I already had all the ingredients on hand. I also had some sausage and kale I needed to use up, so I decided to add that, too. The title sounded a bit cumbersome with all that added in ("Sweet Potato, Bacon, Sausage, Kale, and Egg Bake"), so I decided to call it a breakfast casserole.

Breakfast Casserole with Bacon, Sausage, Sweet Potato, and Kale | acalculatedwhisk.com

This recipe comes together quickly, is packed with flavor and texture, and reheats well, so you can make it ahead to have breakfast on hand for busy mornings. The nutritional yeast gives the casserole a nice cheesy taste. If you're not dairy free and don't have nutritional yeast, you could add a freshly grated sharp cheese, like pecorino romano or parmigiano reggiano, instead.

I hope you give this awesome breakfast a try! (P.S. It's also delicious for lunch or dinner.) Make sure to visit Susan's blog for more great recipes like this one!

Breakfast Casserole with Bacon, Sausage, Sweet Potato, and Kale
Yield: 3-6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes

Ingredients (adapted from Food Baby Life):

1 large sweet potato, peeled and finely chopped
4 slices bacon*
2 fully-cooked sausage links, finely chopped (I used Wellshire Farms turkey andouille sausage)
6-8 kale leaves, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
6 large eggs
1/4 cup milk of choice or water
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast

*Use sugar-free bacon if you're doing a Whole30. I use Wellshire Farms, and US Wellness Meats also sells bacon with no sugar added. Also, check the ingredients on your sausage because some kinds do contain sweeteners.

Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease a 9x13" pan (or similar sized casserole dish) with olive oil.

Put the sweet potato chunks in a microwaveable bowl and add 1/4 cup water. Cover the bowl with parchment and microwave for 3-5 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender when poked with a fork. Drain any excess water. If you'd rather not use a microwave, you can also just steam the sweet potato on the stovetop.

Chop the bacon crosswise into pieces about half an inch wide. Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until almost crisp. Add the sausage, raise the heat to medium high, and cook until nicely browned. Add the kale and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted. Stir in the cumin, coriander, and cooked sweet potato and remove from the heat.

Beat the eggs in a large bowl with the milk or water and nutritional yeast. Add the meat and vegetable mixture to the bowl and stir. Pour everything into the prepared baking dish, using a spoon to spread everything out so it's evenly distributed.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until the eggs are just set. Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Slice into squares and serve hot.

Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I reheat mine for about a minute in the microwave.

Breakfast Casserole with Bacon, Sausage, Sweet Potato, and Kale | acalculatedwhisk.com
Breakfast Casserole with Bacon, Sausage, Sweet Potato, and Kale | acalculatedwhisk.com
Breakfast Casserole with Bacon, Sausage, Sweet Potato, and Kale | acalculatedwhisk.com @beckywink

Yum

39 comments:

  1. Yay I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! Love the additions of sausage and kale, and calling it a breakfast casserole is brilliant. Thanks for visiting me this month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan--I had a great time browsing your recipes! Happy reveal day :)

      Delete
  2. Looks bright and tasty! Fun that bacon can be on a special diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! Yes, that's one of the perks of paleo :). Your comment did remind me to add a note about the bacon in the post, since the Whole30 only allows sugar-free bacon. Luckily it tastes pretty much the same!

      Delete
  3. I love Susan's blog too, and you made a really great choice. I have all the ingredients for this on hand too, so this might just happen one night this week.

    Becky I truly loved being assigned to your blog this month and spending a bit of time looking through your recipes - there are so many that I have bookmarked that I want to try as the seasons roll around, and my chosen recipe - the Blueberry Buttermilk Ice Cream - was an absolute winner.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue!! Loved your version of the ice cream and hope you do give this casserole a try :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, my, I love this, with or without qualifier because I have a big bottle of nutritional yeast (bought for curiosity) and I've been assembling recipes that use it.

    this goes to my Pinterest board without blinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Sally--but I think if I keep making this I'll be able to use up the bottle happily :) Thanks so much!

      Delete
  5. This sounds delicious to me. I could even omit the meat and enjoy it for a Meatless Monday meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! You definitely could--maybe with some salt and smoked paprika or other spices, since this mostly gets seasoned by the bacon & sausage :)

      Delete
  6. I don't know why I don't make breakfast casseroles. They look so easy and delicious. I am hoping to do a Whole30 soon. Pinning this for when the time comes. Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! The Whole30 is a great experience, although tough--hope you stop back by when you start. I have a bunch of Whole30 recipes in the archives and more to come! Happy reveal day to you, too :)

      Delete
  7. Oh.my.yumm!! That looks FANTASTIC!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome breakfast casserole! It's been too long since I've made one and this just jumped up the list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Reveal Day! My family loves breakfast casseroles and they are perfect for overnight guests. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! They are great for guests :) Happy reveal day to you, too!

      Delete
  10. My family would devour this during our next holiday gathering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder if this would freeze well? We're a family of 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole! I've never frozen anything like this, but we're also a family of 2 and we polished it off within a few days :)

      Delete
  12. I love it when healthy recipes shock you right out of your boots and give the less-healthy version run for its money. This bk casserole looks faaaabulous! I want a huge hunk of it for second breakfast right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia! Speaking of second breakfast, it IS about that time...(wanders off to kitchen)

      Delete
  13. What a perfect weekend breakfast. Good luck with your Whole30!! That is something I might try this summer. I've heard great things... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! The Whole30 is a great (but difficult) program. Hope you stop back by if you decide to do one--I have a bunch of Whole30-compliant recipes in my index and more coming soon :)

      Delete
  14. Yummy! This breakfast casserole looks amazing! I love how you modified it to use things you had on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love quiche for breakfast and brunch so this casserole is sure to be a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is, welll, LIFE in breakfast form! I mean, bacon, sausage and KALE? Sign me up! My hubs just recently went dairy free, so making this is gonna get some major wife points! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Taylor! I bet you and your husband will love it!!

      Delete
  17. This looks bloody gorgeous! I would have serious trouble waiting til breakfast time to eat it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! It is great for lunch or dinner, too. :)

      Delete
  18. Great breakfast casserole recipe. I have to give this a try!
    Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun thing to do with other bloggers! I love digging into other's archives, there are always recipes that catch my eye that I never would have found. Plus always a good way to get out of a cooking rut. This casserole is packed with all of my favorites too :) pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! It IS really fun to comb through someone's archives :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.