Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream (Vegan, Paleo, Gluten-free)


Did you know there was once a molasses flood in Boston?  A five-story high molasses tank exploded on an unusually hot day in 1919 and surged through the North End, destroying a fire station and leaving a path of sticky destruction in its wake.  Some say that when the weather is really warm, you can still smell the molasses on the city streets almost 100 years later.

I was fascinated by the molasses flood as a kid and did a report on it in elementary school.  I think that was the last time I thought about molasses, though, because I almost never cook with it.  But, while making a failed batch of pumpkin bread over the weekend, I ran out of honey and needed another sweetener.  The molasses in the back of my cupboard seemed like just the thing, and it was (the pumpkin bread only failed because I asked Ben to watch it for me, and it ended up baking for almost three hours).  Molasses has a spicy flavor that goes really well with pumpkin, and contributes to this ice cream's rich orange color.  I did a little research and there seems to be some debate as to whether molasses is truly paleo, but I'm sure that this ice cream would still be delicious if you added more honey instead, or even tried maple syrup.




This ice cream is perfect for my current state of mind, because I'm excited about fall and all things pumpkin, but not completely ready to let go of summer.  It's still warm enough for me to work up a sweat walking back home from the train, and this ice cream was the best after school snack once I arrived.  Make it quick before the weather gets colder!


Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream Recipe (Vegan, Paleo, Gluten-free)
Yield: 1.5 quarts*
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 4 hours (includes chilling and freezing time)

Ingredients:

15 ounces (1 and 1/2 cups) pumpkin
1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
1 (13.5 ounce) can light coconut milk
1/3 cup honey, agave, or maple syrup
1/4 cup molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice
Pinch of ground ginger
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of salt

*If you have a one-quart ice cream machine, this recipe will not fit.  You can try halving the recipe or freezing the ice cream in two batches.

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, whisking well to break up any lumps of pumpkin.  Chill in the refrigerator until cold, whisk again, then freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.  Store the ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer, and let it soften at room temperature for about 15 minutes before scooping.

This recipe is okay to eat during the autoimmune protocol.  I've shared it on Phoenix Helix's AIP recipe roundtable--check out that post and blog if you're looking for more delicious AIP eats.



You might also like:

Pumpkin Cake with Molasses Cream (Paleo, Gluten-free)






Strawberry Ice Cream (Vegan, Paleo, Gluten-free)






Lemon Coconut Ice Cream (Vegan, Gluten-free)




Yum

13 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! So excited for Fall too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't love cold weather, but fall flavors are the best!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. No need to be sorry! I meant to mention that you can use agave or maple syrup instead--just updated the post. Thank you for your comment and the careful read! :-)

      Delete
  3. There is actually somewhat of a debate over whether honey can be part of a vegan diet. I know vegans who eat it and vegans who don't. I read some insights from both sides in the post and comments here:

    http://happyherbivore.com/2011/10/what-is-honey-vegan/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! My kids loved helping me make this. Always looking for healthy holiday treats. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you and your kids enjoyed it! Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  5. I love pumpkin ice cream - I can't wait to try this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a fan of all things pumpkin! How could this be wrong! Thanks for sharing! Cant wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacquie and Monica! Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  7. Thank you! I'll definitely stop by and share. I don't know much about AIP, but I'm eager to learn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up. Your ice cream got a lot of hits! If you'd like to join us at this week's roundtable, your mashed rutabaga looks perfect! http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2013/11/20/paleo-aip-recipe-roundtable-4/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Eileen! I'll be sure to stop by again :).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.