Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Dutch Babies Brûlée (Paleo, Gluten free)


It's almost time for me to go back to school!  This isn't just any back-to-school, though, because after six years of leading my own classroom, I'm starting as a student again, working on a master's in speech and language pathology.  I have orientation next week, and classes start the week after that.  Then, in October, I'll start working with my very first client.  It's going to be different, and I'm relishing my last week of sleeping in and making myself (and Ben, on the days he works from home) a nice breakfast.

These paleo & gluten free dutch babies are easy to make, impressive looking, and delicious.  If you haven't tried a dutch baby, think about a mash-up of crepes, pancakes, and popovers.  Sounds pretty good, right?

After these came out of the oven and Ben and I each ate two of them, I took photos of the two that were left.  I have to eat before I do a photo shoot--otherwise I race through and take horrible pictures because I'm hungry.  I did snap a couple of shots while the dutch babies were still in the oven, though.  Then it occurred to me that they might be even more delicious if I sprinkled them with sliced almonds and maple sugar and stuck them under the broiler for a few minutes.  And, they are!  The almonds get all toasty, the dutch baby turns a beautiful shade of golden, and the maple sugar gets a little melty and crunchy.  You don't have to brûlée your Dutch babies because they're delicious either way, but it only takes a few extra minutes and a tiny bit of effort.

If you don't have small ramekins or custard cups, you can make this in a large ovenproof (cast iron) skillet, or two small ones.  You may not need to bake them for as long because the pancakes will be thinner.


Ingredients (adapted from this recipe; makes 6, serves 2-3):

6 eggs
1 cup milk or almond milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour/tapioca starch
1 and 1/2 tablespoons granulated maple sugar or regular sugar
2 pinches of salt
3 teaspoons butter, divided

Maple or regular sugar, syrup, fruit, and/or nuts, for serving

Equipment:

6 1-cup ovenproof ramekins or custard cups

Preheat the oven to 350.  In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients except the butter until smooth.  Let the batter sit while you prepare the ramekins.

Place six one-cup ramekins on a baking sheet and put about 1/2 teaspoon of butter in each one.  Place them in the oven to melt the butter.  When it's melted, remove the baking sheet and swirl each ramekin a little (with an oven mitt!) so the butter goes up the sides a bit.

Whisk the batter again, then divide it evenly among the ramekins.  Place the sheet with the ramekins back in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until set and light golden brown.  The dutch babies will be very puffy, but will sink some in the middle as they cool.  Serve hot in the ramekins, or run a sharp knife around the edges and scoop the dutch babies out with a spoon.  Top with maple sugar or syrup, fruit, or nuts.  Or, make a batch of lemon curd, strawberry curd, or cherry orange syrup to drizzle on top.

To brulee your dutch babies, preheat the broiler for a few minutes.  Top each baby with raw nuts if desired (don't use toasted because they will toast in the oven), and an even layer of regular or maple sugar.  Broil for 1-3 minutes, until browned.  Watch them carefully because they can burn quickly.



You might also like:

Crepes with Cherry Orange Syrup (Paleo, Gluten free)





Banana Pecan Pancakes (Paleo, Gluten free)





Dutch Baby






Yum

6 comments:

  1. I love to bake, but I started a modified Paleo diet. Your recipe might just save my life! Good luck with your studies and your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love to bake, too--I knew I couldn't give that up when I started eating paleo :). I'm actually finding it's not that hard to make paleo versions of many of my favorites. Thanks for reading! Hope your transition to paleo goes smoothly!

      Delete
  2. such a fabulous idea! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! I made them in 3, 8" castiron pans. They turned out just like the Dutch babies I used to make with flour; flat in the middle and raised on the sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked them! Great idea to make them in cast iron pans.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.