Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Banana Blueberry Muffins

Banana Blueberry Muffins (Gluten-free, Paleo) | acalculatedwhisk.com

I have been on a quest to make delicious paleo & gluten-free muffins, because I can't have eggs for breakfast every single day.  This is the third time I've tried, and I finally have what I want: a moist, sweet muffin with a beautiful domed top that is bursting with blueberries in every bite.  Best of all, these muffins taste like the real thing, not a gluten-free imitation.


The first time I made these muffins, I didn't use egg and they totally fell apart.  The second time I added one egg, but the muffins were flat, too greasy and too heavy with the almond flour.  For this batch, I eliminated all but one tablespoon of the oil and added banana for moisture and sweetness, added a second egg for its leavening power, and added some tapioca starch to lighten up the crumb.  I also added even more blueberries, because, well..."These muffins have too many blueberries!", said no one ever.  In my opinion, these are now perfect muffins.

These muffins are easy to make in your food processor--it will take you less than ten minutes from start to oven.  Fifteen minutes later, you'll have a freshly-baked, portable breakfast that is delicious and is not eggs.  Win win!

Banana Blueberry Muffins (Gluten-free, Paleo) | acalculatedwhisk.com

Ingredients (makes 12 muffins):

1 and 3/4 cups almond flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon apple juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup mashed banana
2 eggs
2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (don't defrost)
1/3 cup raw sliced almonds, crushed

Preheat the oven to 375.  Line a muffin pan with paper liners, or grease the cups with coconut oil (I might try greasing the cups next time, because these muffins stuck to the papers a little).

Combine all ingredients except the almonds and blueberries in a food processor and pulse until smooth.  Fold in the blueberries by hand.

Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups (I use an ice cream scoop to make this easy).  Top each muffin with some sliced almonds.  Bake for about 15 minutes, or until domed and golden and a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

You might also like:

Blueberry Lemon Muffins with Almond Streusel






Chocolate Cherry Muffins






Lemon Vanilla Bean Muffins








Yum

4 comments:

  1. I've made blueberry muffins and banana muffins but never a combination, sounds most excellent! I've added them both to my morning oatmeal and in pancakes and the whole family really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think blueberries and bananas make a great pair :). I'll have to try pancakes with both, too!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you. Comments are moderated and sometimes take a few hours to appear.